Saturday, November 10, 2012

Deep In the Heart of Texas

Did you ever take on a challenge and think to yourself while you were agreeing to it,  "This might be more than I can handle?"

That was me this week.

On Saturday night, I was asked by a friend to make 150 mini cupcakes for a birthday party this Friday.  Mini cupcakes means less batter, but that still meant 150 cupcakes I had to fill, bake, ice, and decorate.  Wow.  But I'm new in the business.  This is the "Whore yourself out" phase where you will agree to just about anything for publicity, growth, and new business.  So of course I said yes.  And, on a normal week, this wouldn't be a problem at all.  But this was not a normal week...

Monday: ServSafe exam starting at 7:30am.  Ran all day.  That evening, had to bake gluten-free cupcakes.

Tuesday: Election Day.  Found out I'm not a citizen of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (that's another story for another blog).  Ate free ice cream and had a date with the movies.

Wednesday: Back to work. After work had a dinner date.  Baked from 8pm-midnight.

Thursday: Worked all day.  Baked from 7pm-11pm.

Friday: Worked, party.

So, I had very few hours to prepare all of work.  I was like a mad assembly line.  Fill, bake, cool, ice, decorate, box.  Over and over and over and over again.

Sometimes situations like this can stress me out.  Sometimes I get myself into a pickle like this, bite off more than I can chew, and learn a very valuable lesson about time management.  Not this time, though.  This time, this challenge was a giant success.  I made all the cupcakes, everyone loved them, I got additional publicity, and booked two separate gigs (not from this, but still...)

I won't make this a habit, but I'm glad I made this happen.  It worked out well for everyone.

Happy weekend!!!

Lis

No comments:

Post a Comment