Friday, November 23, 2012

Small Business Saturday

Growing up, we tend to go through different spending stages in our lives.  There's those middle school and high school years, where all of our transactions are in cash, from birthday and Christmas money, and it's mostly spent on ridiculous purchases at the mall (for me it was always Claire's, or the CD store, or sometimes Gap).

 Then you hit college, where it's about the bottom line, and your spending habit becomes a daily math problem...I have $10, and need toilet paper, milk, Ramen, bread, and toothpaste.  How much can I buy, with the coupons I have, without sacrificing quality of living?  Wal-Mart, Aldi, Big Lots, they all become your favorite stores in the world.  Saving money becomes not only a challenge, but a way of life.

Following the college years are the "Oh my gosh, I'm on my own!" years.  These are years of rock bottom shopping, much like your college days, but with a flair for the extravagance...you want your parents to believe you're fine financially, so "splurging" on items like candles, dishware, and fun furniture pieces occasionally, to prove you're living on your own with no problems, becomes a way of life.  You become a staple fixture at the Target clearance end racks, pilfering candles and woven place mats at 75% off.

Then there's this moment you come to in life where you wake up and realize, holy crap, there's money in my bank account!  My bills are paid, my food is purchased, and I have money left over!  It's that true moment where you think, I finally made it to adulthood.  I'm going to make it through this thing called life in one piece!  There's usually some fist pumping associated with this moment.

And it's at that moment that you begin to spend your money is "wise" ways.  Some of it goes into savings for those unexpected car repairs and major life purchases.  Some of it goes to pay of college loans.  Some of it may go to help others, through child sponsorship, charity relief, or adopt-a-pet organizations.  And some of it we selfishly spend on ourselves, and our lives, upgrading them into a life we've always imagined.

When I was in college, Wal Mart was a second home to me.  I lived there because I could afford the merchandise they were selling, especially the food.  Everything I bought came from there or Ikea.

Now, I shop at places because I like what they sell.  I tend to avoid Wal Mart because I don't believe in their company policies as a general principle.  Shopping at small, locally-owned stores, something that was not even an option 3 years ago, is becoming an increasing part of my daily life.  Instead of looking for great mass-produced options that everyone has, I am instead looking for that unique, often original item that is unique to my tastes and home.  If evolving tastes is part of becoming an adult, I think I'm winning!

Why am I telling you this?  Because, simply put, I don't want a coffee maker you bought at Wal Mart along with 800 other people :-P  No, I'm just kidding.  I'm telling you this because I want to challenge you to look at your spending habits, and see if there are any places you could adapt or change how you purchase items.  I'm not telling you to give up big box stores completely.  Even I haven't done that.  But every once in awhile, if you can buy something at a chain store and a small, local enterprise, think about purchasing it from the smaller place.



If you've never done that before, tomorrow is a great time to start!  Tomorrow is Small Business Saturday, the day directly following the mayhem that is Black Friday.  Black Friday is all about the rock bottom deals that the chain stores can offer us, and there's nothing wrong with trying to save money.  Small Business Saturday, though, is about giving back to the community you live in, and reminding local store owners that you support their business during the holiday season.

All Americans are encouraged to buy something local tomorrow, whether it's fresh produce, a handmade scarf, or even some homemade cupcakes(hint hint).  It doesn't really matter what you buy, the goal is to get out, find something local you love, and support businesses in your neighborhood.  It's a great time to find a perfect present for that hard-to-shop-for friend or relative.

This is the first year Pittsburgh Sweet Relief has been around to participate in Small Business Saturday, but we hope it is the first of many successful shopping days for us.  While we have no store front for you to stop by at, we still encourage you to consider us in your shopping needs as you're out and about tomorrow.

To help encourage you to try Pittsburgh Sweet Relief again (or maybe for the first time!) we're offering 10% off any orders placed on 11-24-12.  That doesn't mean you have to pick it up tomorrow, you just have to place an order with us tomorrow.  So if you've been thinking for awhile, "Man, it would be great to order a Christmas cake for when the family comes over this holiday season!" now is your chance to take advantage of our sale.  It's a win-win for everyone: you get delicious, home made baked goods, and we have the support of our local community.

So think about helping us out tomorrow.  And if baked goods aren't in your near future, consider donating to our "Go Fund Me" fund.  See that button on the right side of your screen...?  Click it, donate, and help us Build our Bakery!!

Have an awesome weekend guys!!  Don't shop too much!!

Lis

No comments:

Post a Comment