Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Pi Day

A fun fact about myself that I should add to my autobiography, I love random goofy holidays that we make up for no apparent reason.  Groundhog's Day, besides being an epic movie, is also one of my favorite ridiculous holidays.  St. Patrick's Day, Arbor Day, I love them!!

A few years ago some middle school students I was leading in a small group asked me if I was ready for Pi Day.  I figured they meant pie, as in humble, peach, and chicken pot.  No no, they told me, giving me that look pre-teens save for their parents when they think they're being ridiculous, Pi Day.  As in 3.14 pi.  As in math, and formulas, and all sorts of fun riddiculousness that happens in the math world.

I blinked a few times.  There was really such a thing as Pi Day...?

There is, everyone, in case you've been hiding under a rock these past few years.  The first Pi Day was celebrated in the late 80s and in 2010 the national government began to consider making this an actual national holiday.  The idea is simple: you celebrate pi, or 3.14 on March 14th, and all the nerdiness that is associated with loving Pi.  In my opinion, I feel this holiday has picked up steam in recent years as high school math teachers have desperately looked for ways to motivate their classes.  A day where we can talk about pi and eat pie?  Most high school students are down with that.

That's the second part about Pi Day: pie.  You have to eat it.  At least a piece, but I seriously consider more than one perfectly OK on Pi Day.  Is this holiday ridiculous enough for you yet?  I love it!!



I was at work today and realized tomorrow is Pi Day.  Tomorrow!  Time to bake some pie!  My coworkers had no idea what I was talking about when I explained it to them, but I have faith I can make them a fan tomorrow.  Who doesn't like pie??

So I started baking.  I came up with an apple crumb (well, I bought that one, because I'm short on time!) a chocolate peanut butter, and a strawberry.  Something for everyone!!


If you forgot about Pi Day, it's not too late, stores are open 24 hours!!  And if you never knew about it, have fun with it at work tomorrow!  Stop by Eat N'Park on your way into work and pick up a pie to share with your coworkers.  If you're feeling especially intellectual, discuss with your coworkers your favorite "Pi loving moment" (because don't we all have one!?!)

Happy Pi Day everyone!!  May your pie's be tasty, and always a la mode!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment