Saturday, December 22, 2012

The End of the Road

Whew.  What a week.

For those of you who don't know, I work at a place I lovingly call Initech (yes, that's an Office Space reference, you nerds!)  It's one of those soul-sucking cubicle jobs that every college student boldly announces "I will never have a job like that" at some point during their days on campus, even though most of us know we'll end up there anyway.  It pays the bills, and has provided me with some very good friends.  Other than that, I'd rather force a nosebleed every morning than sit there for 8 hours a day.

The third week of every month my job becomes a living hell.  Crushing deadlines fall to my team, and it's an all-for-one-one-for-all get 'er done kind of mentality.  Did I really just mix Alexander Dumas and Larry the Cable Guy in the same sentence?  Really?  Anyway, the days are long, the overtime is ferocious, and you learn to love 5 minute Ramen breaks 3 times a day.  I see my co-workers more than anyone else during that week, and long enough overtime to technically take the following week off.  To say it's an insane week would be an understatement.

On top of that, me and my bright ideas thought it would be the perfect time of year to have a Christmas bake sale.  Sometimes my ideas, in theory, sound wonderful, but in practice, are just about the worst things I've ever decided to try.

Here's the thing, you all know I love baking.  If I didn't, this blog wouldn't exist, and I wouldn't be carefully creating my own Ocean's 11 heist for the needed start up funds.  But baking after 12 straight hours of work...?  Wow.  That's where the boys become men, in my book.  It takes real dedication to work 12 hours, 12 stressful, million-miles-an-hour hours with problems, phone calls, and international break downs (I am making this job sound so interesting...it's not) only to come home to my little crack den on Duncan Avenue, the one with no counter space or dishwasher, and pump out cupcake after cupcake.  Real dedication.  For the past 8 days or so, this is what my schedule has looked like:

     6am: Alarm goes off
     6:05am: Alarm reminds me the world is expecting to make something of myself
     6:10am: Alarm is shoved down the garbage disposal as I wearily make my way into the shower.
     7:30am: Welcome to work.  Let the headaches begin.
     8:30am: I greet the state of New Jersey with a round of "Why didn't you pay your taxes?" phone calls.  So sexy.
     9:43am: Cookies for breakfast?  No shame here, shove 'em down.
     10:37am: Have not peed since 6:12am.  Bladder may explode.  Question whether I could be sent home if I pee my pants.  Decide to risk a trip to the bathroom.
     11:51am: Call from Germany.  Do I know where the U.S. Embassy is in Berlin?  Do I look like I know where the U.S. Embassy is in Berlin?
     12:04pm: Boss reminds me I have a lot of work to do.  Really???  I had no idea.
     12:45pm: I'm hungry.  Maybe it's time to grab some...
     12:46pm: Call from Florida.  Crisis at the bank.  CODE RED!!  ALERT!!!  ALERT!!!
     1:31pm: Crisis averted.  Now about that lunch...
     1:32pm: Co-worker begs for help.  Lunch stays in the fridge.
     3:21pm: Barely have the strength to reach into the fridge to retrieve my lunch.  Running on some water and a handful of stale cookies.
     4:09pm: The Germans are back.  Why are they not in bed?  What's the time difference?
     5:16pm: Do I know the zip code for Biloxi Mississippi?  Seriously?
     7:15pm: Good bye Initech.
     8:00pm: Hello crack den.  It's been too long.
     8:11pm: Where is that flippin' spatula?  I had it right...oh crap, it's dirty.
     8:12pm: Wash all dishes.
     8:45pm: Start baking
     9:01pm: NEW GIRL IS ON!!!!  AND I MISSED THE FIRST MINUTE!!!!
     9:11pm: Continue baking during the first commercial break.
     9:20pm: Continue baking during the second commercial break.
     9:35pm: Into the oven you go!
     9:53pm: Holy bananas is that pan hot!!!
     10:43pm: Cupcakes should be cool by now.  Maybe I should make some icing...
     10:45pm: Well great.  I'm out of butter.
     11:38pm: $5 more that Giant Eagle has sucked from my wallet forever.
     12:00am: Icing's done.  I'm way too tired.  I'll ice tomorrow.
     12:16am: Good night world.

8 days of some sort of variation of this.  I'm kind of klutzy and kind of forgetful, so there's always a crisis to worry about.  Thursday night I pulled a pan of gingerbread cupcakes out only to watch them fall and splat all over the floor.  Monday night I put an accidental hole in a bag of powdered sugar, causing my clothes and the counter to be covered in the mess.  And the one night I left the milk out alllllllll night.  I think I was a bit sleep deprived, though.



So looking back, was it worth it?  Well, in 8 days I sold 20 orders of cupcakes, baked and iced hundreds of little cakes, and (hopefully) gave people a holiday treat to enjoy with friends and family.  Oh yeah, and I also raised several hundred dollars for my baking business.  So was it worth it?  Definitely.  Would I do it again like this, given the chance...?

Probably not like this.

The baking was fine, but man was Initech a killer.  But you know what, this entire blog is about learning how to start a bakery.  Down to those nitty-gritty details like, hey, remember to put the milk away!  This blog is not about celebrating only my victories.  It's about learning from mistakes, laughing at messes, and trying not to cry too much when things go south.  It's about discovering my own strengths, changing my weaknesses, and learning how to become a better business woman.  I guess this is just another step in the journey.

If you helped me at all through this past week, thank you.  Thank you to the Cokes for letting me invade their very large and wonderful kitchen (complete with two ovens AND a dishwasher.  I was in heaven!)  Thank you to those who donated supplies and time.  Your donations were appreciated more than you realize.  Thank you to my coworkers who helped keep me laughing through the stressful times, and who taste tested dozens of batches before I rolled them out to the masses.  And, of course, a big thank you to all who trusted my baking skills enough to buy some cupcakes for themselves, friends, and family this holiday season.  You are trusting people, but I thank you for it.

And now, I think, it's time for a much needed good night's sleep.  I might be a little tired!!

Merry Christmas all. :-)

Lis

1 comment:

  1. From the look of it you are getting less sleep.
    But those items in the picture looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete